Monday, September 26, 2005

A Brief Childhood Flashback

Not all youth was suffered or wasted. I just found, after searching on and off for over twenty years (!!), part of a wonderful collection of records from my childhood. Recorded in the late 50's and early 60's, these science 'folk' songs provided me with some of my earliest facts and gave me an interest in science I've followed until today. Those of you remembering 'The Sun is a Mass (of Incandescent Gas)" from They Must Be Giants will be surprised to know that it's a cover for this simple song from one of these albums (listen to the original here).

These are beautiful little ditties, great for playing again and again and again and again to little (and maybe not so little) kids. I daresay the students in my local public middle school would learn a thing or two from these simple melodies.

Now if someone could point me to the equally wonderful songs about other cultures, and history tunes, I'd be much obliged.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home