Thursday, August 11, 2005

Guy Bonding

"Hello," my spouse said. She squinted for a few moments, then handed the phone to me. "One of your friends," she said.
I took the phone. Normally she mouths who it is when I give her the 'puzzled' look; she just shrugged.
"Yo."
"Shlom!"
I recognize the voice; a friend whose had the enviable luxury of living work-free for the past few years. Sort of an uber-geek with good English, I've always been jealous of his ability to make money from his writing.
We discussed his job search for about ten seconds, then:
"Do me a favor," he said. "I'm in San Jose and am looking for a free wi-fi spot."
"What?"
He explained he was driving around the area and needed to 'hook in,' but didn't know where there was a good coffee shop with free wireless Internet.
"Um, you want me to look it up for you?"
"Could you?"
Nonplussed, I went into my office and, while he drove around downtown San Jose, I Googled maps and locations, squinted at poorly-drawn maps, and tried to list what was available.
It was kind of like listing all restaurants in the town.
"What neighborhood are you in?" I asked at one point.
"I don't know," he replied, but a moment later I heard the car sounds die away. I guess he pulled over to the side.
He game me a cross street and, armed with the right Google search ("free wifi in san jose, CA"), I gave him an address.
My spouse wandered into the office at the point I was trying to explain cross streets.
"Is he lost?" she mouthed. I nodded, then listened as he tried to find himself on a map.
"Is there anyone you could ask?" I asked him.
"Hang on, I think I see it... No, that's not it."
"Isn't there anyone there your could ask for directions?"
"Umm.... Ah, got it!" Sound of car pulling out again.
"Do you need anything else?"
"No, thanks! Bye!"
I hung up; my spouse started laughing. "He called you all way the from San Jose just to get directions?"
I nodded sheepishly, feeling slightly defensive.

Ten minutes later I was in bed, about to relish a much-needed early bedtime. My cell phone rang. It was my friend; he'd still not found the place. As I started to explain where it was, he said "Ahah! There it is. See yah!" and hung up.
My initial inclination (okay, action) was to roll my eyes at his stereotypical 'guy' behavior. But then I started thinking. My friend isn't a big relationship guy. He likes his life, his way, and that tends to make social dates more like encounters in one's travels. For him to call me, to think of me, was sweet. Even if the semiotic content of our engagement was mostly about cross streets and wi-fi hotspots where he could sip coffee, alone. He's a true friend, even if it's a sparse relationship. I raised a venti soy chai in his direction before turning off my reading lamp and rolling over to sleep.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You rule, Shlome. By the way, that hotspot's Wifi was "out of service," though I eventually sought out the San Jose public access area you mentioned......

9:53 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home