Sunday, November 20, 2005

Trivia for a Change: Harry Potter IV

I've been on a severe writing project lately, with little time to post. But I did take time out to see the latest Harry Potter flick. I suppose the best way to describe my reaction would be what Bilbo Baggins said about his life before handing the ring to Frodo. "Feeling stretched thin."

It's a great 2-1/2 hour flick. But against a 700-page novel, with numerous twists and subplots, the movie simply has too much territory to cover. Scenes are cruelly cut to the minimum, leaving many without the right setup. There is one, count 'em one classroom scene. When one of the minor characters dies, there's no scene to cover the response: the next scene, with Harry going up to Dumbledore's office looks like it matches with the death, but there's no reference to it.

I hear that the DVD version will be considerably longer. I pray for that, because this was simply too fast, too thin, and not the homage to J.K. Rowling that the previous movies strived and succeeded in being.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home